We’ve been totally inspired by the Pop Ups new maker-themed album Appetite for Construction. If you’re little ones aren’t in school yet, you may not be familiar with the “maker” trend in bringing children into a wonderful world of creativity. Children as early as kindergarten are attending STEM classes. STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Children get to witness and participate in real world applications of these fields in age appropriate ways. I love that schools are focusing on making “making” fun!
If you spend most of your time with the under 5 crowd this being a new focus may surprise you. Toddlers and even preschoolers are natural makers. They are prolific makers. Every waking moment is filled with discovering the way their world works. Our joy is in learning to be makers all over again by following their lead. That said, it is fun to introduce new concepts to them through various crafts and activities.
In honor of The Pop Ups new album and one of my favorite songs “All These Shapes” I’ve collected 25 Crafts and Activities all about shapes and how your little one can be a maker using shapes.
1. Driveway Shape Maze from Creative Family Fun
2. Shape Button Sort from Life with Moore Babies
3. Shape Hunt from Creative Family Fun
4. Going on a Shape Hunt from Gummy Lump Toys Blog
1. A Shape-ly Owl Craft from B-Inspired Mama
2. Letter Ss Crafts and Activities from Artsy Momma
3. Circle Frog Shapes Craft from Artsy Momma
4. Oval Bunny Puppet from Lovely Commotion
1. Felt Board Easel DIY from Tiny Rotten Peanuts
2. Shapes and Colors from From ABCs to ACTs
3. Sandpaper and Felt Shape Matching from No Time For Flashcards
4. DIY Felt Sewing Shapes from Munchkin and Bean
1. Dr Seuss Shape Activity from JDaniel4’s Mom
2. Shape Scarecrow Craft from No Time For Flashcards
3. Felt Shape Flowers Activity from B-Inspired Mama
4. Exploring Shapes and Colors with Clowns from Cutting Tiny Bites
1. Train Shape Matching Puzzle from Craftulate
2. Color and Shape Matching with Blocks from Craftulate
3. Shape Sorting, Matching and Sensory Bin from Munchkin and Bean
4. Homemade Shape Puzzle from CBC Parents
1. Shape Collages from Creative Family Fun
2. Paper Roll Shape Stamp from Mama Papa Bubba
3. Masking Tape Canvas Painting from Hodge Podge Crafts
4. Pattern Block Art from Frugal Fun 4 Boys
5. Giant Paper Popsicle Craft from Tiny Rotten Peanuts
And a bonus craft!
6. Star and Crescent Printing from In The Playroom
And a bonus song about shapes you can sing with your little ones.
What are you making today?